Thursday, July 16, 2009

Cake #2

Ok, so here's cake number two...I learned a lot from doing this one...I'm excited to see the improvement as I go along.


I learned that I not only need to grease my rolling pin, I need to grease my work area as well. And not with Vegetable oil, but with Shortening.


I read that you need to let your fondant rest for a bit before you use it if you want maximum results. This was some extra I made from the other night. When I pulled it out of the fridge I put it in the microwave for 10 seconds and this is what I had!! It was perfect and much easier to work with!!


Now the problem is that I didn't have enough fondant to cover the cake. I rolled it too thin and tried to make up for the edges and it progressively got worse...but still not to bad. I like the stars. :)


If you look closely, you can see a couple air bubbles next to the stars. I didn't even notice until I was looking at the pictures. :)


DO
Grease work area VERY well
Make sure to lift fondant during rolling time to make sure it doesn't stick
Make fondant ahead
Cut edges off some if wanting more rounded look
Use bigger work area
Look for air bubbles

DON'T
Use too much powdered sugar
Roll too thin
Knead more than necessary

No comments:

Post a Comment