Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cake #3

So, here's cake #3 and I am very proud of it! I thought it turned out so cute!!


I used my Bosch mixer this time with the dough hooks to do a large batch of fondant. It seemed really dry at first but when it was all mixed i took it out and kneaded it in small groups and it was perfect!!


This is after I kneaded it all. Kneading them all together was a little bit harder. :)


After kneading the white fondant all together I covered it in grease and wrapped in plastic wrap. I then did a smaller batch and divided it into three bowls and added food coloring. I was excited about the colors. I wished that the orange was more neon, but it was still cute.


I have had trouble keeping the fondant from sticking so my very good friend, Emily, told me to mix powdered sugar with corn starch and put that underneath rather than just powdered sugar. It worked perfectly!! Thanks Emily!! Jeff was sweet enough to slide the cake under while I was holding the fondant. What a good little helper and quite a hottie if I say so myself! :)


Looks good, huh? The back cracked some, but the front looked fine. I'll have to watch more carefully next time.


After I cut out the stars with cookie cutters I placed them on a damp towel. I then put them on the cake and they stuck great.


And here is the end result! You can see how it puckered some on this side. I think if the fondant didn't have quite as much powdered sugar I might have been able to shape it better...we'll see for next time.


Here's the inside. It was so yummy!!


DO
Use Bosch for big batches of fondant!!
Cover fondant (that is not on cake) when not being used
Shape fondant to cake quickly

DON'T
Put in all powdered sugar at once in Bosch when making big batch of fondant

No comments:

Post a Comment