Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cake(s) #1

So here's the first cakes. I made them for Jeff's niece who just had a surgery last Wednesday.


It started out well enough. I mixed and baked the cakes along with the buttercream frosting to go in the middle and on the outside under the marshmallow fondant. They're cute huh?


This is the marshmallow mixture. It's just 1 cup of marshmallows with 4 teaspoons of water. I heated in the microwave in 10 second increments until all the lumps were melted. Then I added the food coloring. I was hoping for a lime green color but I'll get there. I suppose I'll add some yellow to it next time. I also wanted to do hot pink rather than purple. I just used the wrong colors. It will just take some practice I suppose.


I added my powdered sugar and it made something that looked like play dough. I rolled it out and put it on my cakes. It actually went really well! There were some cracks but I had the fan on which dried it out some. I'll make sure not to do that next time. :)


Here's the finished product! It doesn't look at all professional but I was very happy with the end result! It was my first try and I thought I did great! The reason I am being critical is because this blog is mostly for me to see the cakes I've done and know what I can do to improve next time. At the end of each blog I will put down things that worked great to do next time and things NOT do next time as well. Wish me luck!!


DO
Make the fondant thick when rolled on top of cake
Make sure cake is cut straight
Use Crisco on hands and work area
Lift fondant every so often while rolling out to make sure it doesn't stick
Have thinner fondant for decorations on top

DON'T
Have fan on
Use proper cookie cutters (I used a water bottle lid!)
Use more than necessary powdered sugar

If anybody has ideas on what I can do to improve, please let me know.

THANKS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment